For generations, the Environmental Protection Agency has been at the forefront of world organizations, testing wide ranges of environmental contaminants and imposing more than reasonable restrictions on the continued use of pathogens dangerous to both the environment and to the well being of living creatures, both human and to those among the animal kingdom. However, the aftermath of the 2016 presidential election has seen the organized and authoritative dismantling of the EPA and the effort to turn the agency into a pro-business, anti-human, anti-environment stamp of approval to corporate power and contamination solely dedicated to increased business profit and without regard to any consequences, including the leading of unsuspecting people, young and old alike, on a path towards pain, suffering, and ultimately premature and painful death.
Campaign promises to dismantle the agency and to repeal years of regulations were swiftly begun with the naming of the environment’s Public Enemy Number One, Oklahoma
Attorney General Scott Pruitt, as the new EPA Administrator. Pruitt’s long history and dedication to opposing each and every worthwhile act of the EPA was the sole necessary qualification leading to his appointment, that and a public life dedicated to climate change denial and other reactionary right wing religion-based extremist positions and activities, including serving for several years in a leadership capacity for ALEC, the secretive organization that drafts ultra conservative and religious-based model legislation for every gop-controlled state legislature across the country.
As Oklahoma’s Attorney General. Pruitt began his tenure by first dissolving that agency’s Environmental Protection Unit, replacing it with a new division dedicated to “fighting President Barack Obama’s regulatory agenda”. Pruitt and his agency fought the federal government on issues involving immigration, the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act, the Dodd-Frank Wall Street Reform and Consumer Protection Act, and every other federal protective act he could think of, but his war against the EPA was always number one on his list, and in his short tenure as AG, he sued the EPA more than a dozen times, seeking to overturn regulations aimed at environmental, and human, protection, all in the name of preserving and increasing profit for the real gop constituency, the one percent and their profit-at-all-cost business machinery.
It is worth noting that Pruitt LOST every single one of his lawsuits filed against the EPA.
Could the new administration have possibly chosen a less qualified person to be that agency’s new Administrator? Could the new administration have possibly chosen a person more incompetent to protect the environment and human life? Could the new administration have chosen as the new administrator a person more dedicated to crippling environmental protection and ensuring the continued ease of operation, lack of governmental control and sustained and increasing profits for that true gop constituency? When Scott Walker was first elected governor of Wisconsin due to the unprecedented contributions of the Koch Brothers to his election, his first order of business, within hours of his assumption of office, was to vacate environmental regulations that directly impacted Koch Brothers’ businesses within the state, ending not just numerous environmental
protections but in so doing also vacating massive fines that had been imposed on their businesses for their long history of blatantly ignoring such regulations. What Walker did for the Kochs and other Wisconsin polluters and destroyers of the environment pales in comparison to the massive plan of action being implemented by Pruitt and his new agency of destruction.
Among the actions taken by Pruitt and his new-look, newly agendized agency, are the following:
- Put into action policies in accordance with his long-stated position that human activity is unrelated to climate change, including the blatantly fallacious position reflected in his statements that over the past two decades scientific date indicates “a leveling off of [climate] warming”.*
- Fired the scientific leadership of the agency, including 18 scientists from the Board of Scientific Counselors, replacing them with business and industry representatives, whose clear agenda, as is Pruitt’s, is the evisceration of environmental protection in the United States to be replaced with a business-friendly laissez-faire agenda of non-regulation.
- His decision to rescind the Clean Water Act of 1972’s’ “Clean Water Rule” of water resource management and protection.
- Providing the fossil fuel industry with the end of vitally important protective regulations that cut into their profits, such as his attempt (stopped by the courts) to delay, if not eventually vacate, new rules to prevent the release of methane gas from underground wells.
- A pattern of lying about environmental issues so similar to others in the current administration. Pruitt’s continued lies misrepresent scientific consensus, if not undisputed fact, as to not just the existence and worsening of the human consequences on climate change but also as to such specific issues as the content and meaning of the Paris Agreement, that Carbon Dioxide emissions do not contribute to climate change, that vitally important regulations are little more than “job killers”, where the reality is that regulations such as clean air standards and the Clean Power Plan have been shown to spur innovation and competitiveness and actually CREATE more jobs than any that could be lost,** and of course the continual lie, pervasive throughout the current administration, that they will, through their revision of environmental regulation, “Bring Back Coal”, a dead industry, killed NOT by regulation, but by the cheap flood of natural gas caused by the widespread and vastly unregulated process of environmental destruction known as fracking.
- Rejecting the pending ban of chlorpyrifos, which I discuss in a separate article written for YourHomeForGreenLiving.com.
Clearly, the choice of the new administration to lead the EPA has embarked on the vary agenda that was promised during the campaign, an agenda dedicated to pain, suffering and environmental destruction, with the sole goal that of the non-regulation of the business of America and the continual increase of profits for corporate America and the one percent that owns it.