Loyal gop partisans who never, ever, gave President Barack Obama any semblance of basic decency, let alone a shred of bipartisan support, are out there lamenting the refusal of Democrats, many Moderates, and all of us Progressives to “Give the guy a chance” and unite the country. Well, we have NO REASON whatsoever to “Give the guy a chance” when he has, since election night, continued to espouse one virulent lie after another, basically telling the American people that we are TOO STUPID to know the difference, and making policy and personnel decisions that will cause irreversible harm to the majority of
Americans, not just over the next four years, but well beyond that, and starting immediately.
Let’s summarize just some of the lies he’s stated and/or tweeted over the past week or so:
- He is taking credit for the deal in the news the past couple of days where Fiat-Chrysler will be building new Jeeps and trucks in the USA, adding around 2,000 jobs. The FACTS are that this deal was negotiated by the United Auto Workers as part of a new contract in 2014 and it was originally announced in 2015. The recent announcement was merely an update of the progress of the deal.
- After trump finally consented to an intelligence briefing on the CIA’s report of Russian influence on the election, he made some public statements that, likely believing that the American public would not become privy to the facts and not knowing that the entire report would be made public, contained outrageous falsehoods. trump stated that while the DNC was hacked, that the rnc was not, because the rnc had better security. The report stated specifically that both the DNC and rnc were similarly hacked by the Russians, but that they did not use damaging material hacked from the rnc because their purpose was to help trump and hurt Secretary Clinton. Similarly, trump stated that the findings of the report were that Russian influence had no effect on the outcome of the election. This has to be among the half-dozen most outrageous lies ever uttered by trump. In fact, the report stated that they made no findings one way or another as to the effect of Russian influence on the election.
- After Meryl Streep made her comments about him at the Golden Globe awards, he again repeated his frequent lie that he DID NOT ridicule a disabled reporter. Of course, it’s all a matter of pubic record, with the video available for all to see.
- Major issues and minor events are both the subject of trump lies and the past week has been no different. While not nearly as important as most of his lies, he did feel compelled to lie that Washington D.C. shops were sold out of fancy dresses due to the overwhelming demand for attire for his inauguration. Representatives of store after store have responded, uniformly saying this is an absolute lie, that in fact such dresses continue to be available in every style, color and size at store after store after store. He also lied in saying that the sales of a current recording from a singer who agreed to perform at the inauguration had “skyrocketed” when IN FACT sales had plummeted in unprecedented numbers following the announcement of her pending performance.
While so many degrading adjectives can in part describe the cold, inhumane nature of trump’s very being, perhaps none does as good a job as HEARTLESS. A couple of instances of that came to light the past week:
- Breaking with precedent, trump has ordered all Pres. Obama-appointed ambassadors to leave their posts and return to the US by inauguration day. While this shatters US diplomacy, leaving embassies across the globe without envoys likely for months, until new appointments are made and receive Senate approval, throwing relations with key nations a major-league curveball. Traditionally, they would be replaced by the new President, but with a grace period allowing hopefully pleasant transitions to occur, and in a multitude of cases, Ambassadors’ children to finish the school year, you know, like trump’s youngest son will be allowed to do by virtue of he and the first lady-elect remaining in trump tower for the next year rather than moving to the White House as every other first lady and first family has done.
- 89-year-old Charlie Brotman, a legendary professional broadcaster and sports announcer in the Washington, D.C. area, has been the voice of the Presidential Inauguration Parade for every president since Dwight Eisenhower. Charlie lost his wife of 61 years recently, and the one thing that kept him going was his anticipation of and preparation for this month’s parade. Well, tell that to trump, who unceremoniously fired Charlie from his job of 60+ years, replacing him with Steve Ray, a trump supporter with “some broadcasting experience”, given the job as a reward for his volunteer work on the campaign. Charlie told reporters that receiving the news – delivered by way of an email – caused him to think seriously of committing suicide.
Also in the past few days, more news re-establishing the ruthless con man borderline criminal in trump came to light, regarding his new Washington D.C. hotel, which was the site for late year campaign events and boast after boast that it was completed under budget. Well, under budget is easy when you do not pay for labor and/or materials. This past week, three sub-contractors filed mechanics liens against the property for the failure
of trump to pay in excess of $5,000,000 for work they completed on the project.
And of course, new appointments announced continue trump’s total disregard for conflict of interest and anti-nepotism laws. His latest was his appointment of this son-in-law Jared Kushner to be Senior White House Advisor, flying in the face of their business relationships with Kushner actively involved in trump business projects and of course of the fact the it is against the law to so employ your son-in-law in such a government capacity.
And all this is just in the past week.
Bipartisan support for the pussy-grabber? Not in this lifetime.